The Junior League of Chicago and shopping merchant partner to provide a shopping experience of personalized products. A percentage of the profits from merchant sales support the mission of the JLC.
We thank you in advance for helping us fulfill our mission.
“Chicago” is the Native American word for wild onion. As an onion has many layers, so too does the cuisine of the namesake city. Peeling the Wild Onion uncovers those layers and captures the essence of the Chicago’s culinary past, present and future in the new cookbook from the Junior League of Chicago.
More than two hundred exceptional and creative recipes have been collected and tested by Junior League members, families and friends. These recipes are organized seasonally and peppered with culinary and cultural facts.
Peeling the Wild Onion features:
- 192 artistic pages featuring recipes and seasonal illustrations by Anne Hankey
- 190 tested recipes that highlight Chicago’s cultural and culinary diversity
- Introduction from Christopher Koetke, Dean of Chicago’s School of Culinary Arts at Kendall College
- Warm anecdotes on Chicago’s seasons and poignant community events
- Short stories about local restaurants, geographical and historical highlights, traditions and festivities that are unique to Chicago
- Recipe tips for food preparation and preservation
- Four seasonal menus at each chapter heading that group sequential recipes
Recipe contributions from notorious local restaurants and personalities.
Peeling the Wild Onion won 2nd Place in the
2008 TABASCO® Community Cookbook Awards.
Purchase your copy today! Click here to purchase.
We also offer Leagues of the USA Mixed Cookbook Case.10% discount off regular price when purchasing a case! This package includes three copies of the JLC’s “Peeling the Wild Onion” and three cookbooks from other Junior Leagues across the USA. (6 books total)
The Junior League of Chicago is a proud partner of Amazon and a designated charity of the AmazonSmile program. Shop using the smile.amazon.com link and select the Junior League of Chicago as your designated charity today. Amazon will donate .5% of eligible purchases back to the JLC.
Show off your JLC pride with pins, shirts, mugs, and more! To shop our entire line of new merchandise, click here.
Shop for unique gifts for every occasion and a portion of your purchase will benefit Junior League of Chicago. To shop the SoLuxe store, click here.