Interim Operations Director: Junior League of Chicago
The Junior League of Chicago (JLC) is a metropolitan organization of women committed to promoting voluntarism, developing the potential of women and improving the community through effective action and leadership of trained volunteers. The JLC has over 1,300 members (FY 16/17) that reside in the city of Chicago as well as in the Western, Northwestern and North Shore suburbs who work to empower at-risk families—especially women and girls—through hands-on mentoring, advocacy and education.
The JLC is seeking an Interim Administrative Director to provide operational oversight and logistical support to volunteer leadership, JLC membership and the JLC staff. The interim director will serve as a link between the JLC volunteers and external groups (media, community groups, prospective members, donors and others). Additionally, the interim director will be responsible for the management of the JLC Headquarters facility, a four-story historic brownstone in the Gold Coast.
Responsibilities will include:
- Supervise 3 full-time staff (accountant, membership coordinator, and a marketing and events coordinator).
- Manage the contractual relationships for housekeeping and security/facilities operations.
- Understand and be accountable for financial procedures and records including but not limited to account reconciliation, audit preparations, and process, budget process, regular financial reporting, etc.
- Provide facilities management and oversight for the JLC Headquarters.
- Oversee varied and diverse staff functions such as preparation of contracts, financial statements and audits, document production, multiple mailings and tracking complex membership requirements for 1,300 members.
- Provide critical operational information and guidance on resource allocation to Executive Committee, Board of Directors and Management Committee, as well as other JLC councils and committees. Attend all Board and Management Committee meetings; attend council and committee meetings as appropriate.
- Serve as the first contact with a wide variety of external groups: media, community groups, vendors, donors and other Junior Leagues and direct them to appropriate volunteer leader.
- Provide project management support for fundraising events including overseeing legal contracts with various JLC vendors and facility rentals. Provide critical staff support for fundraisers, including RSVPs and inquiries from press and public.
- Manage vendor contracts and vendor staff including doorman, house cleaning, and handyman.
- Ability to work with volunteers, especially volunteer leaders.
- Ability to manage multiple projects in client-service environment. Proven track record in management, including staff supervision; not-for-profit management experiences a plus.
- Experience working with a board of directors and/or senior management and the ability to work with staff in a team-based context; management style that is inclusive and builds consensus.
- Experience in financial management, budgeting, financial planning and systems management.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated administrative, organization and coordination skills.
- Demonstrated leadership skills and mastery in effectively managing staff and operations.
- Strong analytical, organizational, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to problem solve.
- Ability to think critically especially under pressure.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Previous work experience in a not-for-profit preferred; within a membership-driven organization or division preferred.
- Previous volunteer or work experience in a Junior League or membership organization is preferred.
- Three-year supervisory experience preferred.
Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
An active, provisional or sustaining member of the JLC may apply though, per JLC bylaws, if selected must resign in good standing.
The JLC is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applicants from diverse backgrounds.
If you know someone who might be interested in working for the JLC in the capacity of Interim Administrative Director, please contact Mary Ann Lillie at firstname.lastname@example.org.