Junior League Membership
The Junior League of Chicago has a long legacy in the city of creating a positive impact through our members’ hard work, dedication, leadership and unique talents. We reach out to women of all races, religions, and national origins who demonstrate an interest in and a commitment to voluntarism.
Our members believe the following to be true:
- Volunteering to make a positive difference in the lives of people in our community
- Promoting the development of friendships, rewarding relationships and personal growth opportunities
- Providing opportunities to learn effective volunteer and leadership skills
- Valuing and recognizing the talents and efforts of our members
- Effectively managing our financial resources
- Being inclusive of all women who desire volunteer opportunities
The Junior League of Chicago is looking for women who possess an interest in voluntarism, commitment to community service, and who have an interest in developing their potential for voluntary community participation.
Interested in joining? Find more recruitment information and the latest application on the Become a Member page.
Benefits of Membership
In addition to offering endless opportunities for personal and professional growth, JLC is also an amazing place to create lifelong, meaningful friendships with exceptional women in a structured and supportive environment while making a positive impact on your community.
Additionally, Members should expect the following benefits:
- Participate in training for effective community leadership and personal development
- Improve your community through organized and effective teamwork
- Gain insight into community needs and strategize to fulfill them
- Interact with community agencies and civic leaders
- Utilize your current skills and develop new ones
- Build friendships with a diverse group of current and emerging leaders
- Participate in exciting fundraising and special events
- Transfer to other Junior League chapters if you relocate
As a member of the Junior League of Chicago, you are also a member of the Association of Junior Leagues International, Inc or AJLI. Founded in 1901 by New Yorker and social activism pioneer Mary Harriman, the Junior Leagues are charitable nonprofit organizations of women, developed as civic leaders, making a demonstrable impact on their communities.
JLC By the Numbers
- We have nearly 1,000 New, Active, and Sustaining Members
- JLC members contributed approximately 50,000 volunteer hours in 2022 valued at almost $1.5 million dollars, applying an approximate economic value for volunteer time using recent data released by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
- We offer our members valuable training opportunities each year to learn new skills, learn about the community, and become better volunteers and leaders
- We have several network and social events each year that give members an opportunity to foster community